All HHS Juniors and Seniors take part in a 2-semester long Interactive Media course. This is a blended course, which means we are combining digital media with traditional classroom methods. Here’s a short video on Blended learning. This approach deliberately allows for flexibility since students can, in part, control the time, pace, and place of their learning. Many colleges, universities, and programs use this framework since it fosters independent learning with guided accountability.
This course is run through Google Classroom by a team that consists of technology experts and content experts. Click here for Yohan’s Guide to Using Google Classroom!
The overall goal of the Work Based Learning (WBL) course is to prepare students for multiple career and/or college pathways. To do so, this course focuses on building students’ skills and knowledge in their chosen career path or furthers their study within their area of interest.
By working with our student mentors, community partners, educators, staff members, and administrators - WBL focuses on helping students progress through these stages of the career education continuum on their path to career readiness. Through the use of PAIRIN surveys, Worth Ethic Certificates, Google Classroom, Google Forms, Google Sites, Google Sheets, and videocasts, Google Hangout, community partner involvement, on site visits, and our Habitudes book study - students will receive the instruction, on-site experience, and collaborative experiences needed to become increasingly aware of their career interests, explore such interests, and ultimately prepare for their eventual careers.
What do we do?
- We will be learning about the “World of Work”
- This course is intended to give you a better insight on Careers
- What does the jobs forecast look like in Northwest Indiana?
- We will help you identify your soft skills
- We will assist you on work ethic
- What does an employer expect of me as an employee?
Learn More Indiana Student and Family Resources
Employability Skills Standards
- Employability Skills Standards Poster
- Employability Skills Poster - Student Version
- Employability Skills Handout
- Employability Skills Implementation Guide
- Employability Skills for Today's Workforce
Employability Skills for Today's Workforce (pictured below)
Why Work Ethic?
Work Ethic Certification
Intro and Overview to Work Ethic
School Fact Sheet 2018
Student Intent to Participate
Work Expectations: Student Self-Evaluation and Instructions / Compilation Form and Instructions (additional requirements included in this document)
Goals of the Course
- To assist Juniors & Seniors in the World of Work
- How will we do this?
- Field trips
- Internships - Real People! Real Jobs! Real Opportunities!
Watch HHS alumni speak about the role of internships in a work-based program and benefits of the experience.
- Job Shadowing Experiences
- Google Classroom tools
- Email Communication
- Skyward Newsfeed